Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dib42

Originally Posted by HopeBegins View Post
How can I not let his view of me affect my own self worth?

I used to be a good athlete, competed every other weekend. Now I drink and try to make him happy. He made the decision to be with me, but now he resents it. He says he has the right to drink on a Friday night but I am so uncomfortable with his drinking. Then he says I ruined his tennis AND his NCAA watching. I hate going home b/c I feel so terrible there. But my kids are there. He says they ignore me too because I ruin things for them, too.

I can relate to both sides of this, I've been the jack@ss boyfriend, and I've been the one who hates going home.

Do you have any connections here, kids with him? etc... because you may have to draw a line in the sand on this one. If you're being a bad mother to be a good girlfriend/wife, or not taking care of yourself in order to care for someone who is cold and resentful to you, then you've got your priorities askew. Which, fortunately, it isn't too late to correct this...

Odds are he doesn't really resent being with you, he probably is despressed/frustrated by something, and is taking it out on you. *i know i've done this quite a few times* add liquor to that mix, and its just going to lead to tears. But remember, you're both adults, time to start acting like it... and Adults don't hang up on people because they had a bad tennis game.