View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Anaya

This is a good thread and thanks for posting.

Reading through the thread reminded me of an experience from outside of SR that I'd like to share.

Several years ago, I had driven my then teen son to an NA meeting, one of multiple he was expected to attend to fulfill part of a court-ordered program (this was post an inpatient stay in a dual diagnosis program). He had asked me to go into the meeting with him, which I did. In retrospect, I probably should have stayed on my side of the fence but was new to all of this and said, ok, I'd go. When after the opening concluded and all folks dispersed to groups to share, I went with one group and he another. When in the group gathering, it came time for me to share, and I openly expressed that I was there to support my teen son to which one of the members offered that there were also NarAnon meetings there in the building, if I was interested; I was glad they were "gentle" with me, being that I (maybe subjective or not) did feel like I was butting in by joining them at that meeting. It seemed those there were being helpful and not defensive about me participating, though, I was glad to find out about the AlAnon group and started with that in weeks that followed.