View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CeciliaV

Hi Hermeticdog - welcome and sorry for what brought you to your first post. Your story isn't all that uncommon. Many of us here, myself included, have rationalized that things aren't that bad, could be worse, etc. When it comes down to it, you have to decide what you want in you life and what you want out of your life. If you decide that you don't want to live with an active alcoholic, you don't have to feel responsible for him finding someplace else to live. There are many options out there for him - hotels/motels, shelters, short-term room rentals, etc.

One simple yet brilliant piece of advice I have gotten here is that deciding to do nothing is a decision - if you're not sure whether you want to ask him to leave or leave yourself, and if there's no immediate financial or physical harm that would come to you, then it's okay to not make a decision just now. It's okay to sit with yourself and decide what you want and what is best for you.

I also agree with Pelican - I would stop buying & bringing home alcohol. I stopped doing that for my DH long before he "got bad."

I know the feeling of wanting to help him and to save him and your relationship, but he has to want to help himself and he has to be mentally present in order to actively contribute to a relationship - you can't do all that saving, and it's an unreasonable burden to have to bear.

Sending you strength & hugs.