View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by Hermeticdog View Post
I do enable him by bringing home alcohol, but it keeps the peace between us. I have mentioned the "hiding," but he brushes it off, kisses me, tells me he loves me and things are fine and always will be fine, and he will never leave me.

I think at this point, although I love him the way I do, I feel like I MAY be ready to leave him to his own devices. I DON'T want to, but my mental AND financial states are suffering. I guess I just need advice.
Please stop buying his booze.

You don't need to announce that you are not going to buy his booze, just stop. If he asks why you didn't bring home booze, tell the truth: You can't afford to buy booze.

He is a grown man. He needs to have an income to support himself. Allow him to feel the full weight of his decision to quit his job. That was his choice and now he can deal with the results of that decision.

If you are covering any of his other expenses (phone bill, car payment, car insurance), please stop and allow him to understand the choices he made have consequences.

His problems are not yours to solve. He needs a Higher Power, a Sponsor and/or a Medical Professional to help him solve his problems.

Remember: This is your one precious life. You decide how you will live your life.