Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Rennet

Originally Posted by Darthbubster View Post
I learned a way to have a good successful detox and get good sobriety length. First and foremost, get hydrated. That is the most important thing. The next thing I did once I could hold down water was to start getting nutrients into my body. I hit the GNC for some potassium supplements because your body gets depleted of potassium quickly, multivitamins are self explanitory, Valerian Root calms the nerves, St. Johns Wart brings positive attitude, and definitely milk thistle, which promotes healthy liver function.Cranberry tabs are also good because they stimulate the kidneys to work properly. Now i was always the kind of drunk that never ate before drinking. I wanted the booze to do its job and do its job good. So once my stomach was ready to handle solid food, I ate like a pig. Big meals was the ticket for me. And because i was an empty stomach drunk, i never even felt like a drink on a full stomach. And the vitamins i took helped give me a sense of doing something positive for my body after all of the abuse I put it through. In time the cravings will diminish. Once the physical craving is gone, then FIND A HOBBY!! Something that interests you. Try going to college. I did, and I will tell you, at 37 in college, it is a blast. I am loving it. Best of luck to you!!
Great advice. I used to hit the wall at 4 days too, like the OP, and have now got a bit better at quitting by making it to 10+ days every couple of months. A month is my next goal. But I go in with a lot more confidence now and prep in a similar way to you.. vitamins, good food, I try to manage my blood sugar in a healthy way (from what I read if you do something like eat a big bag of candy you're screwing up metabolism in the same way as when you get drunk).

What gets me now is either overconfidence in sobriety or I get these freight train cravings.. by that I mean they are all day, constant, and the psychology bit is really strong I just feel it is inevitable I will drink. I've had super easy stints quitting and then I get one of those and its over.

I really enjoy threads like this because it gives us novices at quitting a better idea of what to expect. I'm 0 days sober at the moment the hardest part is getting those first few days in and just getting started.