Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
fini

flujays,
hello to you.
sounds like you have lots of activities in your normal daily life that are associated with drinking, so those are challenges. often, people seem to find quitting easier when they make changes in their daily and used-to-drink routines, but that's a bit harder when home with young kids and life is full of routines that can't easily be changed, such as making dinner and washing dishes
but: you can interrupt the routines by changing something, anything, maybe wash dishes after a glass of juice, cook dinner while telling your 3-year old a story, getting a cleaner is a great idea, but failing that, think of some other accompaniment while doing it. such as music, gum, a talking book.

what i'm saying, really, is that making concrete, specific plans for "trouble spots" that i knew were coming up helped me tremendously. running soon-to-happen scenarios through in my head and figuring out how i'd do them without drinking.
changing pictures in my head was also useful; from the short-term "i'll do the dishes while having a cup of yummy rooibos tea" to longer-term "while watching tv with the kids friday evening i'll drink that new grapefruit sparkle that i've been eyeing in the store..."
that kind of stuff.
and if i were to need a "reward" on friday because it's friday....well, i'd plan one ahead of time. or spend the time thinking about why on earth friday and weekend wasn't good enough as it is. i can always torture myself that way

that this is doable....yes!

that this involves change...you already know that.
that it's not easy...sure.

but yes, definitely it gets easier.
and those moments when it isn't....i decided to sit still and see what on earth a drink would do for me. and then looked to see how to find another way to get that if i really needed it.
and slowly, it evolved into a sober life.