Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Yogagurl

My wife is a cocaine/crack addict. Been using about 6years
So, what should I expect?

Hello and welcomet to the forum. I am married to a crack cocaine addict who has been using for the past 12 years or so. I, like you, didn't know what an "addcit" was. If you meet an addict and they are not using, it is easy to think that they have given up the drugs and will never go back. And then they start using again and it's a HELLOFA rude awakening. I have been in your shoes.

Here is what to expect: expect that this is going to be a difficult road ahead of you. Expect that, while she says that she is finished using, you can wake up the next day to find her missing and out on a bender. Addicts mean that they want to stop using, they really do. But the only thing that I can say from my experience is that they are unpridictable in actions, intentions, and emotions.

I hope that your wife gets recovery and that she is able to stop using. I am not trying to discourage you, only forewarn: crack has a very low recovery rate. According to statistics, less than 3% of people who are crack cocaine addicts recover on their own without relapse. There is always the chance for relapse, regardless of whether the addict has been sober 10 months or 10 years. You have to set boundaries with your wife and let her know that you will in no way partake to her drug use. You will not support her if she is spending her money on drugs. I am DEFINATELY telling you to do as I say and not as I do, because I have been with my AH for a LONG time when I should have walked out the door. I have financial obligations that have held me back from leaving.....

This is the way that I look at it, and it's cold and it's cruel, but, knowing what I know now, this is what I say:

Do not become involved or stay involved with a crack cocaine addict if you can help it. I would step back and wait to see how she does with sobriety.

Wishing you the best.

YG