View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hanna

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I am just moving onward and upward. .....Actually, i am sitting here. I haven't learned levitation yet.
That made me giggle. It also reminded me of Jonathon Livingston Seagull, which I just read again for the first time in 25+ years.

Not to say you should stay where you are now, but one year really is not very long to get acclimated to a new place. I've made several large moves and can tell you it takes time, patience and effort to be happy anywhere you go.

Are you two getting out and doing things that would enable you to meet new people?

Making friends in a new place happened for me when I started getting involved in things that I enjoy. It enabled me to find people with similar values and interests. When I moved to my current location I got involved with the community through several volunteer organizations. It was the first time I had done so and made a huge difference in my experience here.

My circle of friends is comprised of transplants, which makes a big difference. People that have lived in one place all their lives often have plenty of connections already, but people that relocated here are just more ready to meet new people. I've now got a group of friends that helps one another in the way family would. Our families are too far away to pet sit, come jump the car when the battery dies, pick up soup when someone is sick. These friendships have made all the difference to my enjoyment of this place. It's not even the best town, but the people I've met make me love it even when other things bother me.

Our little town has activities like Friday night gallery walks each month. Do you have anything like that in your new city? It's been a great place to meet people and even if you don't meet anyone it's fun to browse the shops and look at the art work.

I am also learning that my own attitude makes a huge difference. I recently had the opportunity to socialize with someone that previously rubbed me the wrong way. (Friend of a friend.) I could have stayed home, but I decided to go and also decided that I was going to enjoy this person's company no matter what happened. It worked!! I found things about her that I actually really like. Maybe things will get better for your husband at the office. I had a co-worker that I really couldn't stand, until one day he told us an awesome story about his time as a Carnie in the 70's. It's crazy, but just him relaying this really odd experience made me see him in a different light, and improved our relationship.

(((Hugs))) I know it isn't easy!