Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome to SR. I am glad you joined us and sorry for the circumstance that brought you here.

Dealing with addicted loved ones is tough, and crack is an extremely tough drug to shake...but many have, there are many here at SR who are living proof that people can recovery and thrive.

That said, addiction/recovery/relapse is often a revolving door that many addicts go through several times. Some "get it" the first time, some never do. My son has been lost in his addiction for about 20 years.

What I learned after spending years and years and thousands of dollars trying to save my son, is that only they can save themselves and that happens only when there willingness to get clean exceeds their fear of trying.

I learned that I could not save my son, that all the love and trying in the world was not enough if he didn't love himself enough to stop. If love could save an addict, not one of us would be here.

I found my balance and sanity again when I began going to meetings for me. CoDA (Codependents Anonymous) was my home group, Al-anon and Nar-anon are two similar fellowships that have helped many here. And coming to SR every day (for 11 years now) has been a saving grace for me. I was beaten and broken when I first arrived at the steps of recovery and today I live my life well, finding beauty in every day. I begin my day with a prayer for my son, then live my day in faith that God can do for him what I cannot.

Take a read around, especially the sticky threads at the top. You will find a lot of helpful information there.

My prayers go out for you and your family. Addiction truly is a family disease.

Hugs