View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
gelfling
Searching and tripping

Hi mamma,

Your higher power can be called God, Buddha, Allah, the universe, nature, the sky, or someone who has passed on, that you continually feel their presence, or whatever gives you a connection to or the feeling of accepting and believing that there is something or someone out there who is able to assist you in your growth and recovery. I believe that's why the referral is always "higher power" because not everyone believes in God, but may be spiritual or just don't believe at all.

If there really is a god, why does he let bad things happen to good people is your question?

I don't believe this. What is made of love and gives love would never make us suffer. This statement reminds me of the nuns at catholic school. We were punished by "God" because we obviously were bad people. Such a crock. It wasn't until I got out of the dysfunctional house I grew up in and mingled with people who had other beliefs that I discovered that God/higher power was pure love.

Over the years and particularly over the last 4 years, I've learned and believe that we are the makers of our destiny. If we think miserable thoughts, that's what our lives become. If we think healthy, happy and positive thougths, our lives will head in that direction.

We were put here to enjoy the fruits of our labor and the gifts given to us by........... We were not put on this earth to suffer and be punished. If that were true, why is the earth, with it's magnificent beauty and colors, species of animals and birds, the glittering stars at night and the sun during the day part of our everyday lives? Wouldn't it seem logical that it would be dank and dreary without light and life for us that should be punished?

I feel that I was unlucky to be part of a dysfunctional family; equally unlucky marrying an alcoholic, but I don't feel punished because my son is also an alcoholic. I see that I don't have to be part of the sickness anymore. Just getting out of it and free of all the ties is the bi***. I felt that I was forever doomed with my situation, but through alanon discovered a deeper meaning to life, not just to set myself free from the disease.

Totally my beliefs. Probably 1 of millions.

Blessings, Kathy