View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mammacat

If there really is a god

If there really is a god, why does he let bad things happen to good people?

I have said that and believed that all my life. I wasn't raised in a religious household, my parents never spoke a word about it that I can remember. Before my mother became heavily involved with alcohol I do remember going to sunday school with my cousins, but I was about 5 and don't remember a thing. As a pre-teen my best friend had to go to church every week and a few times I went with her. But I was confussed by the sermon, and after awhile I stopped going with.
For these reasons and more, I am having trouble with getting past step 2, and I know that it is impossible to complete the steps without truely beliving in your HP. I also know that some of you reading this now are having the same problem.
I am trying to look at it this way, imagine that you were born into an extremely wealthy family, a family who cushioned you everytime you fell, and handed you everything you ever asked for. They got you out of trouble whenever you needed it and never let you feel the consiquences of your mistakes. With being spoiled rotten growing up, how do you think you'll turn out as an adult?
It may sound like a good life, but imagine if everyone was handed these things as well. We'd have an entire world of adults who would always expect to get their own way. They'd be selfish and wouldn't know how to react when things go wrong. I think it sounds alot like living with an alcoholic and being an enabler. Could you imagine a whole world of alcoholics?
For this reason, our HP makes us work for what we want and need. He lets us feel the consiquences so we understand what our mistake was and hopefully learn from it. He throws us a lot of hurdles in our lives to make us stronger people so we can survive out there in the real world, so we can be better parents/teachers/workers/lovers.
I just thought I'd share, thanks for reading.