Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cormat

I was 45 when I got serious about not drinking. Within a couple of weeks of being in AA I heard a chair by a 25 year old and all I could think was that it was a real shame somebody had to give up drinking so early on.

Within a couple of months I heard another chair by somebody of 22 and found myself almost envious that they had managed to get sober so young.

Sobriety really is that good. It took me a little while to get it but now I wish I never picked up a drink in the first place. I go to one AA meeting that has a reallly strong cadre of younger members and to see these people with so many years to enjoy their sobriety, well its amazing.

Drinking offers nothing. Nothing at all.

And dont feel shy about going to AA meetings. We love to see young people coming through the door and all people want is for you to find out how to get, and then stay, sober. Bloody hell, if I could have got this at your age then I know my life would have been a lot more fufilling than it has been and whilst I aint moaning about what I have got now, it fills my heart with joy to see bright youngsters realising what a throughly nasty confidence trick alcohol really is.

Go for it. You have nothing to lose what so ever.