Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Michael66
Recovering

Hi Paddler

For me it was early 40s that I first decided seriously to quit. My drinking had very slowly, but inexorably, been increasing over the years. Attempts to moderate were only ever temporarily successful. I decided to go sober and I managed sobriety for something a little over a year. I then decided that I must have "reset" my system in that time and that I could go back to occasional and moderate drinking. As I discovered I'm one of those people for whom that just doesn't work and the drinking levels started to rise again and carried on rising and I drank for several years - always intending to give up properly tomorrow or next week. Last April, at age 46, I finally accepted I couldn't ever drink anything ever again, under any circumstances and I really had to give up, not tomorrow, but today. I learned the slow and hard way that moderate drinking just isn't possible for me. Once I accepted that it's actually been easier than I expected. The first few months were really miserable at times but I was absolutely sure I wouldn't drink no matter how miserable it became. I kept a journal and looking back I'm really glum in those first three months or so, but by about four months I can see my mood really starting to lift and by about six months I would basically have described myself as "happy" again, which I hadn't been for a few years. Now I can say and see that sobriety is an essential part of my happiness - and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to realise and accept that, but there you go. Anyway I'm rambling now!

Good luck, and God bless, everyone!