Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ABIDEBYLAW

Been drinking for over 30 straight years and am sober and trying to stay same after 29 days without any alcohol (almost a month now)!
Have thought about quitting several times over the last 10 years but always came up with excuses and people that were to blame for my sickness.
Finally went to the Dr. and received a call after the blood tests from his nurse telling me my liver enzymes were really high, bp and cholesterol high, verge of diabetes/heart disease, etc... and that the Dr said I need to quit drinking immediately and to return in 9 weeks for further testing to see what the cause of my liver enzymes were and other issues. Like I do not know why my liver enzymes are so high : (
Well I quit the day of the call and told everyone that I, aka "the saint", was quitting beer for Lent.
Well I guess that helped some of my friends accept me not drinking and I have kept to it since the call, Ash Wednesday.
I guess it finally took a Dr telling me my health was in trouble and that I had to quit imbibing. Pretty sad it came to that : (
29 straight days sober and counting so all I can do is continue and pray that God gives me another chance to turn my health around and have clean/positive blood tests in 6 weeks.
Peace all.