View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Gforce23

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Lots of people do it this way and it works great. For me, it was the opposite. My mind is like that little kid that keeps repetitively asking Now?...now?now?now?how bout now? When I quit for good, I found freedom. No more question. Done.
I realize that doesn't work for everyone though.
Yeah, I can see how that would feel really liberating. However, forever was really to much for me to think about in the beginning. I had to just do it one day at a time or the fear and anxiety were enough to send me back to the beer store. So, for me, I might be work up to feeling like it could be that way. I'm already starting to get used to not drinking.

Originally Posted by SoberD View Post
Yep, this is exactly me - sometimes I feel so pumped (for lack of a better word) and excited (for no particular reason) that drinking gives me that incredible feeling of "ahhhh." I guess I would describe it as this uncontrollable energy that builds up in me that isn't necessarily bad - it just feels like I am going to burst through my skin if I don't calm down. Exercise usually does it for me so I am going to really focus on that. In fact, over the years, I think that being physically active is the one thing that has kept me from destroying my body and life completely with alcohol. Enjoy your ride!
I ABSOLUTELY relate. That is what I was referring to. I don't drink because I'm depressed, well, probably sometimes I have, I drink to let loose and do something all this internal energy I have. And, yeah, there were a few years where I wasn't riding so much or doing much else athletically, and I drank WAY more.

However, just getting back into shape in the last year and getting focused on my MTB, hasn't been enough to suddenly make me a consistently moderate drinker, so I had to choose.

Cheers everybody!