View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Gforce23

Originally Posted by SoberD View Post
2 months is awesome G. That would be a record for me so I was wondering about how you feel different, both mentally and physically. One of the demoralizing factors for me is that I get to a few weeks, don't feel different, and say "what the hell, this isn't doing anything for me." I'm assuming that I just need more time...but what actually happens?
Hi!

You know, this a toughy and I'm not sure really qualified to answer it, but I'll speak from my own short experience:

Listen the first few weeks or so, I experienced a lot of fear and anxiety about what I was doing. That is subsiding some, though I still feel some pangs when I think about going into social situations where people are drinking.

Physically, I feel a lot better, because I don't wake up hung-over on a semi-regular basis, and even during times when I only did have a couple--for instance, during the weeks when I usually drank a few beers with my husband--I don't feel sluggish in the morning. I have more energy, I don't feel bloated and tired and mildly depressed.

Mentally now that things have calmed down some, I'm still dealing with problems in my life that did not magically clear up when I stopped drinking. At least I have more self-esteem, not having to feel like there I go again being the "drunk mother" or the "hungover mom" or whatever. Not that I was drunk around my kid, but just that I felt bad about myself for being a mother who drank the way did, and wondered what other people thought about it.

But here's the rub: Being sober is NOT going to solve all life problems or fix whatever things are going on with you psychologically. In fact, being sober exposes those things even more at first. However, if you are sober, will be in far better state to finally take care of those things and deal with them with a clearer head. I processed a lot of emotions in the first few weeks. However, if your expecting that life turns into sunshine and rainbows once you stop drinking, I think you might want to alter your expectations some.

Why do you want to quit drinking? Maybe really ask yourself that question. For me, the consequences, and the way I felt about myself around it, just outweighed whatever pleasure or fun I thought had with it. So, for me it just came to a head.

I'm better without it. I'm a better mother, and sure, I miss having a beer. I won't lie. But, the sacrifice is worth my self-esteem and waking up everyday feeling good.

I wish I had more answers for you, but there a lot of here with far sobriety that might be able to help you see what's on the other side better than I can.

That's my two cents! There must be a reason your here thinking about stopping.

Cheers, and hang in there!