View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lyoness
Night owl

You're welcome! I understand about needing the oxy just to get going. I was snorting 60-80mgs at a go just to feel "normal" or like I could cope. Or shooting up at night. So I know, for me, I have a long road ahead. I used for a long time, and for the last couple of years I used a lot in very intense ways.

I'm on a longer term taper than it sounds like you are on. My doctor does a 6 month protocol. First stabilize then begin the taper. Right now I'm a little more than at halfway mark. I wish I could say I haven't had any slips, but I have, most at the very beginning. I do have some chronic pain/disability issues and I feel those are what have brought on recent craving/slip issues. I am actively working to try to find solutions so I don't get stuck back into active addiction.

I think it is very important to do the other work of recovery, too, so that the cravings don't come back, or if they do that you will have other resources in dealing with them. Being here at SR is great, my first couple months were a rough ride and I posted and read here a lot when I had cravings. I don't have fulltime computer access so I find I've mostly slipped when I can't come here for support. That's why I am really glad to be back here!

Are you doing subs with a doctor or program? Have you discussed your concerns with them? They should definitely be there to help you with these issues and concerns. Also going to NA or getting into an outpatient program is vital. We really do need support, especially in learning how to live life without without our drugs. I know I"ve relied on them for SO long that I sort of lost track of all other coping mechanisms. So I am doing outpatient counseling and have been honest with my counselor about my slips.