View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FeenixxRising

Originally Posted by KUfan View Post
I'm going on a business trip tomorrow and I am notorious for getting drunk and doing less than admirable things on these trips. I was sober for 8 years and didn't have a problem going to conferences and such. BUT, after I started drinking again a few months ago (have since quit--1 week sober!!), I fell back into the old habit of sitting at the hotel bar for "a drink or two" and ending up wasted. I am terrified of this happening again this week. I've looked into AA meetings where I'm going, but there aren't many. Advice?
Having the same issue, I have to go out-of-town on Friday and I will have the same temptations--hotel bar, lots of people having drinks etc. etc.

I've been "fast forwarding". Thinking about how crappy Saturday morning will be if I drink and how much better Saturday morning will be if I don't. I'm also planning out a sober schedule for each part of my stay, basically, a nice dinner and off to my room with a book and then to sleep. I feel pretty comfortable, but I will need to keep rewinding and playing the sober scenario over and over in my head. I do know that if I stay sober, I will wake up Saturday morning with feeling of well-being and self-respect no drink could ever provide. I crave that feeling as much as I desire a night of hotel bar drinking--and that's one craving I'm happy to give in to.