View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wilting

Exclamation Sorry if this has been covered, but...

I am very new to all of this, so I am apprehensive and curious. Since this is the secular section I guess I'll just come out and say it: not only am I an atheist (not by choice, by my inability to believe that for which there is limited and flawed to no evidence) skeptic and attempted rational thinker, I am skeptical and hesitant to the extreme when it comes to claims I am completely unfamiliar with.
So, the beast. I get that we have inherently contradictory desires, and I get that one is the addiction and not really us, but why are we anthropomorphising it to such an extreme that its almost insisting that we have an entirely separate entity, with desires and even a sentience of its own? To me that seems like woo-woo. Don't get me wrong, as I said I am new to this. I'm just very confused. Why can't we speak of the desires and motivations as an inherent part of an addictive mind, rather than a capitalised mythological seeming "Beast" that lives inside our mind?
I'm merely asking because, while I do want to get better, and quit drinking, if I have to convince myself of irrational things to do it, then I'm out. Not that I do believe that I'd have to do that in order to quit.
I guess what I am asking is this: (with immense due respect) is the lingo simply misleading to a newbie and this beast is just a handy way to express certain cognitive functions,or is the term "rational" being misused? I just want to make sure I'm in the right community,because for me to recover in a healthy way I want to approach this in a literally rational and logical way, and I feel that if I start down a line to recovery and discover that I'm in some kind of cult then that could irreparably damage the recovery I so desperately need.

Again, much respect and no accusations. Just questions and concerns.

Wilting