View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Not that I think it's in any way a GOOD plan. Not really what anyone could call a healthy relationship with alcohol there. ("Hey, Non, wanna get a cup of coffee next Wednesday?" "Sorry, I can't. I promised my beast we'd get sh1tfaced that day.") But in theory one could apply the tools and techniques of addictive voice recognition to a project/plan other than total lifetime abstinence.

I woke up at 2 a.m.and I am having all kinds of thoughts I didn't mean to have. I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks after getting more rest.
My experience is this indeed works well right up until it doesn't. Without total lifetime abstinence, its much like arranging the deck chairs just so on the 1912 maiden voyage of the Titantic.

The techniques themselves employed certainly would somewhat help, but sometimes with a return to drinking, help can be too little too late, and serious consequences can keep a guy drinking for years before they attempt to come up for air again. Myself, I struggled for six years playing musical chairs before I finally did the forever thing.