View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

I'm sorry you were abused and terrorized by your husband. And I wish you were not still in the home.

Your story is very familiar to me, including being locked out of the house by a raging alcoholic I was running to get away from. And also the picking him up at the jail the next day. And his sad look and contrite posture and his desire to make it all right with me.

I also remember thinking this was the turning point. And he would go to AA and we would not have to divorce because he would get sober and never come at me again the way he did that night.

But my AH white-knuckled for awhile and, as anyone with knowledge of the disease of addiction could have predicted with 98% accuracy, he started drinking again. And because of the couple months of abstinence, his drinking was actually more intense and he was more volatile and crazy than ever in his drunkenness.

I am sorry to say this is very likely to be your story as well. Please find a counselor, an Al-Anon group, and a place to run when he starts drinking again. And whatever safe place you find, stay there. Do not live with him until he has one year clean and sober and has proven by his consistent actions that he is sober and sane.

We have to face reality. We have to let go of our hanging on to the "he's so good when he's sober" reason to stay with someone who is a bully and a tyrant on a regular basis. The most dangerous person in your life today is your husband.