View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
willow23

when does use become addiction

Hi everyone, I came across this site this morning while searching Google for help.

My (ex) partner of six years whom I have a child with broke up with me last year. He made new friends and started using drugs- ecstasy mainly when out in clubs. After a few months he asked me back, this lasted a week and then he ended it again and went back to his partying etc. Last month he came back to me saying he was done with the drugs and that lifestyle and he wanted his family back. Well it soon became apparent that he wasn't prepared to give it all up. At first I made excuses- I'm the one being a nag/ of course he's entitled to a social life etc. but now I'm thinking he has a problem. But as far as he is concerned it is recreational and fun and nothing is wrong. How are you supposed to know when one goes from user to addict? Especially if they downplay it all the time.

I am kind of thinking he initially promised to give up the drugs because deep down he knows he should but then I'm thinking is it just a case of he enjoys the drugs and just would rather not give them up?

He has gone AWOL and left his apartment back to the landlord along with aall his possessions because he wants a new start- again, on one hand it seema like hes running away, on the other who wouldn't like to do that and he is young so why shouldn't he, u know?

Thanks for reading