Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

From reading previous posts, you (Robby) were rocking strong with sobriety long before you came to SR. You had tried some things until you found a program that is working for you. That's awesome, you're a lighthouse; a beacon on the hill.

From reading others' posts your SR experience in that regard is atypical. Most of us (like 95%) are trying to find something that will work for us. Most common newcomer posts are people looking for support / commiseration. After that they are either directly asking, "What can I do?" Or indirectly asking by stating, "I don't know what to do."

From my perspective you have a lower than average threshold for what you consider snake oil promotion. I think most of the recommendations I see are earnest attempts to relate a personal experience in answer to direct or implied requests for it.

Some people are very aggressive about it, to be sure. It's affirming to have a plan working for them be successfully adopted by someone else. That doesn't make it disingenuous.

Now, when I (or someone else) posts, "I was thinking about beer today, but I carved a wooden duck instead," and someone jumps in with, "You really ought to be [fill in recovery methodology here]" - that can be annoying.

My $0.02