Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
deeker

As a women, best men's meeting I ever went to!!

When I first came to AA/NA this time I went to a lot of meetings but not much else . Didn't take suggestions.

Finally decided to try a new way and took suggestions and my life did improve dramatically .

I began to appreciate sobriety but still felt sorry for myself that I had to live with my folks .

Then one weekend we went to visit my son in Orlando. I had googled meetings in the area .

Well we drove to where it was supposed to be and no meeting .

So I called hotline . The guy on the line could have been anywhere in Orlando but he happened to be 5 min away .

He came and met us ( how cool is that) and took us to a men's meeting at the Homeless coalition in Orlando . I am a woman.

I knew in my heart that God was doing something special and I went into it fearless .

Well we drove through a very sad part of town .

Homeless folks everywhere . It broke my heart .

Then we got to the homeless coalition. There were over 300 men and women there walking around, sleeping on cots and sitting in a courtyard playing with their children .

It was the most peaceful setting I have ever been in my life .

I felt such love there amongst the people .

These people did not look at me like I did not belong . No one stared at me or asked me for anything .

Then I went into the men's meeting with all these men, I was the only woman amongst 50 men.

Not one man said it was a men's meeting nor did they say I was not welcome .
If my hubby ever walked into a womens meeting, I know the women would be saying "Excuse me this is a womans meeting"
'

But these men got it, they knew what it was like to really need a meeting and they were not gonna prevent me from seeking recovery.

They welcomed me with bright smiles and warm hugs .

It was beautiful . I listened to them share . They were so humble and grateful for what they did have , such as a cot and a blanket and some food .

I heard no sob stories.

They were at the bottom rung of life but they had found something priceless .

They found sobriety and fellowship in AA . They found God.

I was in awe of God showing me that even I could survive in a homeless shelter and I would be ok .

That there are more important things then boats, trucks and houses . These men had found themselves .

It was funny after the meeting I hung with the men outside the meeting and shared cigarettes but they didn't even ask for one .

I just offered . They were perfect gentleman . beautiful souls .
I went home with a totally new perspective .

I was and have been grateful ever since for my recovery and my little room
at my folks house and my little twin bed .

And my monthly food stamps . I have everything I need today I am sober .

God knew just what I needed when he brought me to that meeting.

He heard my prayer.

I love God and my life as simple as it is . That hole inside was never filled with all that other stuff anyways .

That spot was reserved for my God .

Thank You Lord