View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
You're still very young yet. When I was around your age, I made several half-hearted attempts to quit and of course, none of them ever stuck. I was very "high functioning" too, with a great job, lots of social activities, etc. As the years went by, I gradually got deeper and deeper into the drinking. I never missed a day of work, but my social life started dwindling as no one could keep pace with my drinking. Anyway, after nearly 30 years of drinking, I finally ended up with the morning shakes and crippling panic attacks. That was my "bottom" and I was able to dig out before it was too late. I hope you decide to give it up before it's too late. I wish you well.
I agree with this poster and also hope you give it up! By age 30 I was doing awesome professionally, never missed work and got promoted through the ranks. Great girlfriends, social life, and friends - we had a blast. That whole time I was drinking, but it never crept into my work life...until, like this poster, I began to suffer crippling panic attacks at age 35-36. They were so bad it forced me to quit my job, something I chalked up to "well, I've been there for 10 years so it's time to move on anyway". Next thing you know I woke up in a hospital after suffering multiple seizures. Treatment saved my life. The job thing isn't working out so well now, but the fact that I'm still alive is the most important thing. It's amazing how my priorities changed...

Sounds like you are eager to get the ball rolling. I wonder if moving out of your house won't give you a newfound sense of responsibility? After all, eventually we all have to be honest with OURSELVES in the long run. You can't protect yourself from your drinking by living with your family forever....do you have any kind of support aside from this board? This works just fine but maybe there's counciling or some kind of therapy that might help?