View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
MyTimeNow

Originally Posted by Newatthis34 View Post
I do think though that there is a very human inclination to try and convince others of what has worked for you, not charlatanism necessarily but as Nonsensical said more evangelicalism (?)! However what I don't find, or at least I don't anymore, helpful is someone telling me to read the book again, or that I'm not understanding something correctly. (Even though that's what prompted me to start the thread initially).

I began reading about AVRT in order to find some way, any way, that could help me understand how to quit drinking. I understood what I read, I just couldn't apply it properly. Clearly this is my problem, something in my mind that resisted or found issues to rail against. Perhaps it's best summed up as a disconnect for me between the theory and practice. I also understand that AVRT doesn't promise to transform your life, only to help you quit booze. But I think that those two things are not as easliy divided as it's presented in RR. Thing is, I want to transform my life! Otherwise what's the point?? The main thing though is just not to drink, and then figure everything else out.

So I'm still applying a bit of AVRT but not in isolation. I wanted to read RR, close the last page and be 'cured'!! Needless to say that did not happen. But so far since I've read the book when I've wanted to drink the difference between doing it or not has been a conscious decision - either in favour of my whole program for a better life, or for instant gratification. So for me I DO need to keep the other goals in my life in my mind, and not just say 'shut up Beast'...
The parts in bold make complete sense to me.

I've actually not finished the book yet. I'm happily plodding on in my sobriety and I don't feel I want to be studying it constantly. In bed I'd rather read a crime thriller and drift of with a good murder in mind... Hmmmm.

I want also to think I'll be 'cured' once I have finished. I know this is not going to happen, I know I have all the tools now. I also know that it will not transform my life. That said... no hangover, a stable mind, more money, more patience, less anxiety and sense of contentment even if not happiness will drastically transform my life, and has been doing so. Without these transformations my goals would not be achievable.

I'm also very aware that I'm a I want it all and I want it all now person.

I did make my Big Plan. I drank once since. It was an absolute conscious decision - a stupid one after nearly a month sober. I haven't made another Big Plan. I'm not sure why not, it knocked my confidence some (AV anyone?!)

I think the thing to remember is that we are all getting there and we are all looking at achieving the same regardless of how long or by what route.