View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

I appreciate you addressing my interest in your thoughts on the Beast.

Originally Posted by Newatthis34 View Post
But I've decided that stuff like the Big Plan, and Beast don't cut it for me, (although of course I know that they are metaphors for urges and intentions and not literal) ....I feel like I'm pretending when I say to myself 'YOU don't want a drink, your BEAST does'.
I hear you. I believe I had a similar reaction to the notion that I had a disease, and it was to be treated by identifying my character flaws and spiritual defects and asking my HP to remove them. It did not make sense to me. It makes perfect sense to others, and that's great for them. People are beating their addictions using that methodology - it just never 'took' with me.

The concept that my compulsion to drink originates in an entirely different part of my brain than the part where my personality resides made perfect sense to me as soon as I read about it the first time. A desire emanating from the primitive portion of my brain that cannot be turned off or controlled by the otherwise in-control advanced portion. It can't be contolled, but that animal impulse can be ignored.

I hope you come across something soon that makes perfect sense to you.