View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
firstweek

this is an interesting one! On my mother's side my Grandfather liked a drink but so far as I can recall either moderated or quit - can't remember. He lived to a good age anyway! My uncle was an alcoholic, lived on streets for years...he went to rehab for a long time and hasn't drank in 30 years or so, there is also a history of manic depression in the entire family. On my Dad's side he has to watch his alcohol intake very carefully....red wine would send him insane so he no longer drink's that, however he also suffers depression but really works hard on it through a self help group. My sister is quite a heavy wine drinker, mother likes a tipple, brother hardly drinks at all. I don't think I was an accident waiting to happen as such or if there is a alcohol dependent gene lurking about somewhere but I think I definitely had all the "qualifications" to become a binge drinker/booze dependent - growing up alcohol was part of almost everything, somebody is born...drink, somebody gets married...drink, somebody dies....drink and everything inbetween - you get the picture. At nearly 40 I know that I can't change the environment I grew up in or blame it, I can only take responsibility for myself (its hard!) Good luck all - stay sober x