Thread: Last chance
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MyTimeNow

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
How does AVRT work? I have goggled it a few times but I don't get very far with it. Is it an online thing or are there meetings to go to? Maybe I can't find a lot because there isn't anything in my area.
Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

check out this forum patty. There are no meetings. AVRT stands for Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.

You know when your MIND says - I want a drink, go buy some drink.

But YOU say - I don't want to, I don't want to drink.

What your mind is saying is your AV - Your Addictive Voice. It desperately wants you to go and get that drink to ease it's pain and wanting. Whereas you, yourself doesn't want to do it.

It leads to a complete inner turmoil. One one hand I want to drink. On the other hand I don't want to drink.

Once you can recognise the 2, separate them and stop the thoughts with a no I do not want to drink it is IT the Beast (who speaks through your AV) that wants a drink then you can work on how to shut that Beast up and tell it no. IT is not in control. YOU are.

Google 'crash course AVRT' and then you will have more knowledge and be able to decide if it's for you or not.

I'm not the best at explaining these things! Have a look at the forum and the website, it's quite simple to understand really