View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Saskia

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
I'm not meaning to sound so nitpicky but if you look at the first page of the February thread, it says for those who are quitting alcohol or drugs this month. Not those who joined SR this month. I just feel like there needs to be a sacred place for people with ongoing sobriety to be able to share what issues they're working on (less related to becoming sober) now that they're been sober for awhile and if its not in their class tread, then where?
OLL, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. On the one hand I believe you said anyone should be able to post but in the above post you refer to a "sacred space for people with ongoing sobriety...". Please let me know if I'm missing something but that sounds to me like you want a thread that's only for people who have been sober for awhile. Am I misreading that? I'm trying to understand what it is that you are looking for. Let's say for example that Dee could and would set up a separate thread only for those who had stayed sober for x months.

How would it be handled if someone slipped after a considerable length of time (again Lee comes to mind). Do these people then get kicked off the thread?

I do understand your concerns but have questions about the practical implications. Personally, I also find it inspiring to be in a mixed group where I have a number of wonderful people who have been sober for awhile and are great examples and that includes you!

In my gastric bypass support group we have quite a mixture of people; some had their surgery 10 years ago, other a month ago. Since the issues for those under and over one year are very different, each meeting we start with one group and the next we start with the other and we learn from each other.