View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Whatsit

Originally Posted by Manmust View Post
I think about leaving more now than ever. I am concerned about my daughter.
My ex wife decided, when my daughter was 5, that a coworker of hers was a better option than me and it really took its toll on my now 10 year old daughter.
My AGF really is great with her, and kind of afraid to pull yet another person out of her life. There have been times the AGF has been loaded in front of my child, but its a matter of what's worse? My daughter has only seen me distraught once over her drinking, and we don't fight in front of them.
Sometimes the answers aren't so clear. Wish there wasn't kids involved.

And she polished off 9 beers last night. Would have been 10, but spilled the last one. I feel so lonely in this relationship.
I think allowing your AGF to remain in your daughter's life is really not a good idea. Most likely, the sooner you get your daughter out of this, the better.

Your statement about being lonely in this relationship is the most telling thing you have said so far. By experience, I know this is a hallmark of being in a relationship with an addict. Your AGF will not only leave you lonely, she will have you and your daughter believing that you are somehow at fault; she will blame everyone except herself, unless she does "hit bottom" and get help. Addicts make everyone in their lives feel crazy, as well as lonely, eventually. She will dominate your time and attention and make it difficult for you to maintain friendships with normal people. She will view them as threats.

I feel sorry for her, just as I feel sorry for my addicted brother and for my workaholic husband. I stayed with my husband, at first, because I thought it was my moral duty. I continued to stay with him later, because we had a child with serious congenital disease, and I could not have met his needs on my own. Both our children suffered psychologically, as have I. I have remained part of my brother's life because he became chronically seriously ill and thus disabled. I have been in psychotherapy and have to take meds for anxiety disorder and serious, persistent insomnia. If it were not for a few normal friends and my religious community, I would not have survived it.

I hope you will continue to think your situation over very carefully and make a wise decision. Your first responsibility is to yourself and your daughter. I wish you both the best.