View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  
WhoDey

Hi all ... I haven't posted in what seems like ages, but wanted to touch base. Obviously, I'm hopelessly out of date with everyone's journey toward sobriety.

Woodhead ... I did catch your post and, like others, you and your son are in my prayers. Stressful times create the temptation to drink, but you have stood strong. You should feel good about that.

Day 55 for me. My wife and I went to dinner last night and I wished I could have enjoyed a glass of wine, but we all know where that would have led. Instead I had ice tea and rejoiced when the bill came ... eating out is so much cheaper when you don't drink alcohol!

Besides avoiding the negative effects of drinking, the other side of the spectrum ... the positive effects of not drinking have been tremendous. Every so often I do the math in my head of how much money I've saved this year by not drinking. Incredible.

I'm also feeling better physically than I have in years. For years I was a distance runner, but my motivation and ambition slowly ebbed away ... especially over the last few years. Yet one more thing that alcohol took from me. Now I'm beginning to feel the old competitive juices flowing and am excited to get back to running. I've lost about 10 pounds so that, in and of itself, will make a tremendous difference.

Even though I don't post here often, I frequently draw strength from knowing that this community of souls exists. When I think of the commitment each of you has made to better your life, I can only draw strength from that realization. We're not perfect, but we've displayed the courage to face down our demons and fears, and become the people we dream of being.

Great job classmates! Soon February will be in our rear view mirror as we make our way through March.