View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by legna
I find myself struggling on occassion to determine morality devoid of external programming.
Well I think that certain situations are called moral dilemmas for this very reason.

I read my students a book entitled Shiloh. The storyline goes that a boy encounters a dog who is being abused by it's owner. The boy ends up stealing the dog, hiding him away, and lying to his parents and the dog's owner about it. He steals food too to feed the dog. He saves the dog from certain death. It is fascinating to see children turn this over in their minds...when they are confronted with a situation where "wrong" is suddenly "right" and "right" is suddenly very "wrong".

Stealing and lying are obviously wrong...but are there times when stealing and lying are justified? Then what of vigilantism?

I can't believe you just posted this. I just posted on a different thread about my increasing "intolerance of intolerance". My anger toward those who espouse hate is not hidden from anyone who knows me IRL. I'm very vocal about it (ha imagine that) but as I said in the other thread...by returning hate, I am no different than they. So I think on this alot.

Thank you for posting this legna. These kind of "ramblings" are the reason I joined SR.