View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
0percentABV

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I appreciate your post because it reminded me about how entertwined drinking was in my life...
I know that all drinkers have a hard time letting go of their past but I wonder if it's harder in the era of social media? I don't know about the rest of you but I obtained many friends that had the similar interest in craft beer through my old blog. We even got together for road trips to breweries and had beer blogger summits at local bars, heck I even organized a pub crawl. And through all this I became "friends" with a lot of people on Facebook and Twitter. I've long abandoned the blog and though I probably will never see a lot of them again I haven't got the heart to drop them from other social media sites and that being said it's not like their presence on Facebook sets me off, but craft beer junkies love to post pictures of beer and talk about their exploits a lot and that's when things get awkward for me.

The big reason I gave in after my initial 4 months was because I wanted to get back to the normalcy I used to know and "just have a beer when I'm out." Thought I could just have a few with the gang and still keep in touch with the players in the game so I, well, I don't know, I guess not lose my status in town. But the game (I like calling it a game because to me that's what it was) is huge now. MPLS and St Paul is flooded. Seems a new brewery is applying for a license every day. What was a some what tight knit community of beer geeks is now a metropolis of beer dorks. Seemed to happen overnight. I stop for 4 months and all of the sudden time passes and I was on the outside looking in. Granted I was a mess prior to that so I was probably oblivious to the fact that these are not my friends and I have no status. I am not a brewer, nor an an employee or anything besides a dude who loves beer and then when I really look back, I was a beer groupie. WTF?

I should really just drop them. No offense but our common bond is no more.