View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
oinobares

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
[snip]
I saw red flags everywhere. It is what it is. I am an alcoholic and no matter how much time passes I will always drink like that because that's how I drink. I crossed a line where I can't turn back. The good old days are over.

Do you know what I like. No hangovers. A moment of warm bliss from booze just isn't worth sacrificing a whole day or even a morning of comfort.
This shows a lot of really admirable self-awareness and clarity, and helps sharpen my own. I too crossed that line. What I once enjoyed optionally and voluntarily I began to chase obsessively, and every day there was a little burning ember in my brain pan that would not go away. Heading out to the park with the kids? Well, give me a second sweetie while I check something in the basement and shotgun a few beers or chug from the bottle to tamp down that ember a bit so I can "enjoy" our outing. Oh, and would you mind driving?

Haven't had a hangover in almost nine months now. I'm always available to my family and friends. You need a ride I can give it. And I can interact with my fellows without feeling like I'm carrying around a black hole of despair in my innards.

Great posts and thanks for sharing! Keep on the path.