Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
SeekSobriety

Thank you for posting the link to this video. Very powerful, very real. Very sad.

If we are or were not at the low bottom that Ryan had reached, it is a very real place we could very well get to and fairly quickly. Someone had mentioned that his Ex Girlfriend said that Ryan had only been drinking heavily for 5 years.

Let us not allow his suffering and his desire to change his life, to be for not. If we are on this board here today and have a chance to get sober, I say we do all we need to do to get clean and stay clean. Our story does not have to end in tragedy.

What helped me stay sober.
Working with a Doctor, Working with a therapist, attending group meetings, being accountable. Owning up to my past mistakes and, paying back debts. Finding a job and working, if I was unemployed, in addition to honestly looking for work, spending my free time Volunteering and helping others was and is key to staying sober.

Our story does not have to end in tragedy. We have a gift of now, what will we do with it?

Give in to the disease, and drink our life away? Or take back control of our lives from a chemical and start to live life on our terms, not on the bottles terms? Sobriety might not always be easy, but is suffering and living life as a alcoholic easy? Surely it is not. It is horrendous, and the few minutes of pleasure, hardly make up for the hours upon hours of agony and sickness, embarrassment, frustrations and shattered families, relationships, jobs and health.

I feel so sad that Ryan was not able to get himself help sooner. But hopefully his story will inspire others to take action before it is too late.

R.I.P Ryan.