View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

No, I wouldn't say you are delusional. In fact, if you think AA in your community is lacking this kind of focus that was helpful to you, then I think you would be doing a service to provide a meeting that has that kind of focus.

Every group determines for itself, by group conscience, the structure/format of the meeting. So you could certainly gather a group of like-minded AAs and get one started. You could talk about how you want to address your focus in your opening, for example.

I think what you have to be careful about is to avoid criticizing other groups for not sharing your focus. One of the great things about AA that has kept it alive for so long is a spirit of tolerance and a recognition that not everyone approaches the program in the exact same way. We might wish we could get everyone in line, but that isn't how AA is set up, and experience shows that it is best to leave the groups to do things as they see fit.

But I say go for it--pick a good name that will signal that you take the importance of a Higher Power seriously. Be patient and tolerant of others, but speak your own truth. Good luck!