View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cole1022

Truth in recovery

Hello all, my name is Brian and I am a recovered alcoholic. I'm writing this because I have seen a trend in the recovery community around my home town of Detroit. It seems that there is a common opinion that mentioning the importance of a higher power might scare off newcomers. My experience is that people are going to continue on whatever path they're on until they've had enough and become willing to try something else. So why avoid emphasizing the importance of a higher power. I am currently launching some independent meetings that put ones' conception of God in the forefront. Not a religious based group but one that doesn't dance around the importance of believing in something greater than ones' self. I take recovery as a matter of life and death and although not everyone may have gone to depths I did, I believe that the solution is always the same. I am wondering, is this an issue anywhere else. When I got sober my sponsor told me to pray about evrything. He always stressed the importance of a higher power and I am very blessed today because he did. I am looking to build a community of people who want to discuss the solution. I would appreciate any feedback i can get. Am I delusional? Is anyone experiencing the same issue in their community?

Thanks,
Brian