View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Manmust

Originally Posted by kizzie View Post
Manmust, I've started to respond to your initial post about 5 times and then deleted my response because everything you have described hits so close to the core. Three years ago, I was behaving exactly like your girlfriend, and my husband was doing all of the things that you've done to contain the situation (i.e., me). The one difference was that I realised I had a serious problem with alcohol and eventually came to understand that I am an alcoholic. After 2 years sober, I relapsed and my husband is once again afraid to let me go to the grocery store alone for fear I will be gone 10 minutes longer than expected having downed an entire bottle of wine in that extra time. Sound familiar?

Your girlfriend is almost certainly an alcoholic. Others are giving you excellent advice about attending Al-Anon and participating in the Friends and Family section of SR. I just wanted to chime in and give you my perspective on your girlfriend's behaviour as one who was/is her, in the relevant ways. Best of luck to you in however you choose to move forward.
I don't think she is downing alcohol in her car or in a rapid attempt to get loaded.
She was supposed to be finished with work tonight at 6:30. I didn't hear from her until 7:20. She told me her last client was late. She didn't appear intoxicated at all. But she seems to run late constantly and doesn't text me, and if I text, she acts like I'm bothering her, or I was freaking out.
Anyway, her first text(after 5 hours of no communication) was "im running late, did you buy beer"
Of course my answer is no. Now she's asking me to go somewhere to eat.

So I meet her. She orders a bucket with 3 beers. Ugh.
Drinks 2. Thinks about taking the third home. Ends up drinking 1/2 of it, and leaves 1/2. Thought that was weird. So she knows I've been doing a lot of reading. She asks if I would go to the store and buy her a 24 oz beer. She says she wants to lay in bed and drink a beer. She hands me a 5 and says I'm not enabling because she's paying

Oh my, I told her, if she wanted it, to get it herself, I was going home. Sure enough, comes home with a 24 oz beer. So, that's 4.5 beers. Last night it was 3. I don't know that the amount is all that critical. I'm rambling now, I want to know the truth, yet hate the realization she has a problem.

I know that's not a lot of alcohol, but I've seen her down a 6 pack then a bottle of wine in a night. Watch out if hard alcohol is around.