View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
snowfall

I wish things were different

I am someone whose life has been affected by somone else's alcholism. My husband and I were together for 10 years until he started drinking heavily and eventually became a non functioning alcoholic who has lost his marriage, contact with his son due to recurrent relapses, his job and in 6 months time he will be homeless if the drink doesnt kill him before. We loved eachother very much and the love never went but the alcohol destroyed our marriage and when our baby boy came along the drinking got worse to the point where my ex was arrested in the park for being drunk looking after our child. A few months prior to this he lost his driving license through drink driving and was banned from driving for 18 months. He lives quite close to where my son and I live and i hasten to add he has never been violent. He is a a man whose soul has been destroyed by alcohol and yet having lost so much he still continues to drink. He told me that he spent 2 months in hospital recently as he has 7 gastric ulcers and whilst the doctors have told him that he could die from a perforated ulcer he continues to drink. I can t bear to see the man i loved and still love killing himself like this. How far down does he have to go before he hits rock bottom. We have very little contact but the thought of him living in squalor ina dark basement fleet drinking himself to death is very painful. He is extrmeley vulnerable..no family, friends such as they are have given up on him and he is very isolated. As well as gastric ulcers, he has early signs of liver damage, his teeth are rotting, he has vitamin B deficniency, he has clincial depression and he is extremaly thin. He is 37 years old. Its tragic and i wish i could do something. I feel so helpless.