Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
kizzie

Thanks all. Nonsensical, DH went to one or two meetings with me when I was beginning this journey for the first time 3 years ago, and he said the same thing today that he did at that first one - that he thinks of AA as a group of salty, grizzled old men and how surprising it is to see just your normal, everyday people at a meeting, young & old, men & women, those you'd never suspect had these sorts of demons to deal with. I think he got at least as much out of it as I did.

It was a lovely group of people and I did get a lot out of the meeting. I spent the first twenty minutes aggravated at the meeting layout and format (seated in a circle, going around the room in order rather than volunteer speaking and rows of seats). I wanted to be able to hide in the back lol. But once I got over myself and just listened it was better. A bit overwhelming at the end when a well-meaning woman chatted at me and DH for 20 minutes about the program. Anyway, it's done, I feel okay and not too jittery, just a bit mentally exhausted (which is how I always feel after meeting new people). I will tick that meeting in my book as a good one to get to in the future. Frankly, I get riled when they get to the bit in the preliminary reading, "Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves," since I don't see AA as my only path to recovery, but I get a lot out of the ID meetings so I'll continue to go with some regularity.

Anna, I haven't come up with any plans for the weekend yet. I don't trust myself on my own so it'll have to be a family outing - not a bad thing on a sunny summer weekend in Melbourne.