View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cormat

Originally Posted by nyrfan89 View Post
My wife recommended AA but I am not the most sociable person, probably part of the reason I drank so much. I am trying to open up a bit more, joining this site was my start. What can I expect in AA and more importantly how do I embrace it? How do I get my damn foot to go in the door?

Felix
One of the big break through moments for me was the realization that one of the major impacts alcoholism had on my life was that it caused me to isolate more and more. Effectively the drinking made me anti-social and in that lay the catch 22 for me.

As to 'embracing' AA, well I truly believe that its all about just turning up. Somebody once told me that if you bring your body along then eventually your mind will catch up.

With regards to what to expect, then be prepared for the shocking fact (at least it was to me) that you will hear more laughter than sobs. More tears caused by mirth than sadness. It was bizarre when I went along and saw all these happy people. I genuinely thought that in a room of 30 or so people, probably only about 4 or 5 were alcoholics and the rest all do-gooders or social workers and the like. It was staggering to find out that everybody in it was an alchie !

We live in a world in which we invest a lot of time and effort in securing big and shiny packages and boxes only to find out that the contents are a real let down. AA is that battered and rather grimy looking plain brown box that you only decide to have a look inside when you are so pissed off with everything else.

And for me, well that box had something very special in it. But it takes time. No quick fixes, no instant relief but just a group of people who are probably unique in that they all just want one thing for you. And that is for you to get better.

You aint here because you are bad, you are here because you are mad. And getting sane is a very worthwhile journey.

Best of luck with it.