Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
limeskittles

Difference between alcoholism and drinking problem?

I'm really not quite sure what to do and where I fall. I definitely have a drinking problem. When I go out on a Friday or Saturday night I binge pretty heavily. It's not about socializing 90% of the time it's just about getting wasted. However; during the week/on the weekends when I'm not out with friends I don't get drunk. I can have one or two beers, glasses of wine, and not need to get drunk or drink more. Lately my personality has been changing when I'm really drunk. Not angry or sad; just different.

I guess my question is if I need to get completely sober before my binge drinking on the weekends becomes full fledged alcoholism. As of now I don't feel as if I "need" to drink and can and have gone weeks without it. (Besides wine here and there.)

I told my parents that I might have a drinking problem and they told me I was being dramatic. My mom's brother is an extreme alcoholic-hasn't held a job in 20 years and has no desire to quit drinking. I come from a fairly long line of high functioning alcoholics.

Cheers for all the help! Look forward to getting to know some of you.