View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nyrfan89

Unhappy New, struggling and looking for advice.

Hello All, Nice to meet everyone!

On October 1, 2012 I woke up and decided to stop drinking; this was after drinking for close to 23 years. I am 41 years old and have just had enough; this was my 1st attempt to stop. Craft beer (9% alcohol content) was my elixir for the past 3 years, before that it was mostly wine and some beer. I was not a 24 hour a day drinker but I would drink every night and on the weekends to the point I was drunk. I’d bet in the past 23 years only 10% of the days had sober nights.

Today is 19 weeks since going cold turkey and I am finding it more of a struggle to refrain from drinking. I’ve managed to hold strong but feel I am in a path to failure. What do I do? Everywhere I go I see the few people that are drinking, not the majority that are not! I have managed to avoid events where alcohol is being served, but I cannot avoid them all as that would mean never leaving my house. My wife has been a great support system (she is not a drinker) but I am afraid at some point she will get sick of me complain about how I need a drink.

I know I’m not the only person to go through this, so I am hoping I can get some advice that will help be in this long, hard journey.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Felix