Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Well, I'm driving at the fact that this entire SR site is all about supporting the individual, and their right to practice whatever ways and means they may choose as they make their journey away from a life of abusing and using alcohol and drugs.
Yes, well put.
Strictly speaking, using absolute AVRT, most of this site's supportive efforts flies in the face of AVRT yeah? How interesting for you must that be, GT?
I don't look at AVRT and the Recovery Group Movement as being adversaries. I look at them as being different choices. And frankly, I don't look at Sober Recovery as either. SR, to me, is an example of a brand new (well, brand new in a historical perspective) media form for people to use to enhance their quality of life in so many ways that never used to be this convenient. And I think it works because of the combination of flexibility within person-honoring boundaries, even troubled person-honoring boundaries.

I tire of your soapbox efforts at being such a purist in a few threads here and there, and yet, you turn a blind eye to the reality of how support is provided for the members of SR. As if somehow you think you get a free pass in the secular forum to be a AVRT purist.
Robby, I have a lot of faith in you. I've always liked your eclectic approach. I can tell you like your life. I like mine, too. I don't think of myself as an AVRT purist. But I do understand AVRT. I totally accept that anyone can stop drinking any way they want. We all have a free pass here, Robby. That is, if we behave decently.
AVRT does not in fact allow for such collective support. Such organised support would be quickly considered AV -- your example of the word sobriety comes to mind.
I don't think AVRT even implies that SR is incorrect in the manner it operates these forums. Again, it's about choices.

Well, you can pretend that somehow this forum is disconnected from SR, but the facts are this forum is indeed part and parcel of the greater SR.
I don't pretend that Robby. To me, the greater SR gives people way more to do than figure out how to stop drinking or using, and it's not just for addicted people looking for help.

There are real reasons Rational Recovery no longer does meetings or has support sites for people to "share" their experiences -- and this is because AVRT practioneers can quickly risk becoming disingenuous in such enviroments.
LOL, AVRT practitioners are pretty much just self-recovered people who have no real interest in spending a lot of time "in recovery", so you're right, maybe they would become disingenuous if they tried to set up "support meetings to "share" their experiences."

You can't have your cake and eat it too, GT.
Robby, you forgot one of my major self-disclosures here. Last May, I made a Big Plan on sweets!!! LOL