Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
meadowsis

I currently see a CAC III, certified addictions counselor with the highest designation. Not sure if that license is something every state has or just some.

I got lucky and stumbled on her really. Her profile stated she specialized in addictions and family members of addicts and utilized cognitive behavior therapy and other techniques to help you make changes. I have been to therapists before that just listen but never gave me any tools to make changes, wasn't looking for that.

She called me before we had an appt and was pretty straightforward about her practice and that she would put me to work and if I just wanted someone to talk to only she wasn't it.

She had me pegged within a visit and we went to work right away. She also outlined exactly what path my AB brother would follow, and unfortunately he has been right on track. The thing I like about her, she has been treating addicts in various settings for so long that she doesn't take BS from anyone, codependents included. I needed to be called out, she did it, and I return every week to make sure I don't need to be yanked back in line. I have done better in this setting then the nar anon meetings so far.

So if you can find the addictions counselor designations in your area that would greatly help.