Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by Sunshine2 View Post

Allforcnm, I am surprised that you saw a psychiatrist. Maybe things are different where you live?
I don’t think it has anything to do with where we live, Sunshine.. I think if anything, it might have something to do with the fact that the Dr. at the rehab specialized in addiction medicine & was trained to work with patients, she knew all about how addiction affects the body/mind, she could do talk therapy with the patients also, and could prescribe meds. Psychiatrist are also able to request labwork and link medical issues to mental/emotional symptoms. I think they also have more power in having people committed for treatment/observation or something like that. (Im sure she was tempted to have me committed, but she never did - LOL) But seriously, her knowledge of the medical side was very helpful to family members. She also had a specific interest in working with family like I mentioned, so that is what she did. I know there is a different path of training for each, but psychiatrists are qualified to do talk therapy if they choose. ( I think many don’t, because they typically fetch a higher price being medical doctors; the turnaround for patients is also greater, so they make more $$ just dealing with medical side and getting people in/out of the office…it takes longer appointments to do psychotherapy ).

Also, the Dr at the rehab found me the local psychiatrist; and we talked as a group a couple times before I transitioned over, so I guess she picked a like-kind of doctor to herself. I have never been prescribed any medication.

That’s a good point actually, if you don’t like the psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist – look for another one. If you have a good relationship with them, its helpful I think.