Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sadwife21

how do I let it go without feeling like a fool?

My husband is an alcoholic. He didn't even drink when we were first married; he smoked weed, we both did. After failing a couple drug tests, he realized that it was a threat to his career and he quit. It didn't take long for him to take up drinking, which didn't take long to become a serious problem. By that time, we were married for several years, built a house, had careers...we were successful and happy, which is why I just don't understand this.

He started drinking jagerbombs, which are bascially crack for alcoholics. That's when it started to escalate. He got obnoxious and cocky and I really started not to like him when he drank. Then he started going completely nuts, right off the deep end. Paranoid and angry. It wasn't really violent and it was never really directed at me, but there was rage.

Fast-forward 5 years. He has lied time and time again. Driven home drunk time and time again (even though his career would be ended by a DUI). Lately, he's mean to me. He screams at me and 2 months ago, he called me the "C" word, twice. I would have preferred that he actually slap me in the face becuase that was about the same as being stabbed in the heart...and he knows that.

The hard part is that he's a really good man without the alcohol. He works hard. He's home with me. He wants to take care of me and be good to me. So we have good times for a while...then he just goes back to it. It builds and builds to some kind of incident. The most recent - he got drunk at a restaurant to the point that he threw up several times in the parking lot. I was on my way to pick him up when the manager call from his (just wanted to make sure someone really was coming). He didn't drive or go crazy or anything so it wasn't as bad as some of the past incidents...but it was embarassing for me.

There's so much more...