Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bbthumper

If "its" not just getting better with time, there's hope

A lot of folks are blessed with the gift of life getting better as a result of just putting down booze and waiting. I think this has the potential to leave some people confused. For many of us, it seems life gets progessively worse when we just put down booze. Then we hear someone state "Just stop drinking. It gets better!" and are left thinking "what's wrong with me?"

My point in writing this is to assure you that there is hope! IMO there is a certain type of alcoholic, the type that is described in the Big Book, whose problem is not alcohol. The main problem of this alcoholic is an intolerable internal condition which is at its worst when not drinking. If I look back at my years in active alcoholism, I can see that I was at my worst when not drinking. My anxiety and depression were full blown. Fear dominated every second of my day. Loved ones irritated the heck out of me. I was unmotivated and performed poorly at work. The list goes on. Things always seemed to get worse and worse until eventually I would break down and take a drink. After a sufficient amount I could usually get to the point of feeling "right" with the world again. Of course in the end getting to that spot where things felt right was much harder to do. Seemed no amount of booze or pills or combination of the two could get me to that point sometimes. But to not drink was unbearable. Drinking was the only solution I ever had. The thought of it not working anymore was frightening.

The point is if I were to quit drinking, Id need a new solution. For me the program and fellowship of AA was just that. It may not be for everyone, but if you are one of those alcoholics like me that is wondering " Ive stopped drinking.why arent things getting better?" Your problem may not be the alcohol. Just know that life can and does get better for millions when they begin to seek a spiritual solution to repalce alcohol.

Rambling completed. thanks!

God bless y'all.