Thread: Playing "games"
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
No, ignoring the silent treatment isn't showing him that it has no consequences. It isn't your job to CREATE consequences for him.

Ignoring the behavior is simply not getting sucked into it. If you must speak to him (e.g., "I'm going out for the day, be back at five.") then do it. If you don't need to speak to him, don't. Why aggravate yourself?

I know it feels like something has to HAPPEN. It doesn't. When and if he chooses to talk, he will talk. Until then, you can just carry on.

It doesn't feel natural, but that's because it's new behavior. Just stick with it. It will become more natural.
My AH is the master of the silent treatment and he admits it's part of his 'punishment' of me. I speak to him when I need to when he gets like that. Like, "hey, I'm going to the store, do you half and half?" Or, "hey, I need a ride to the shop because I need an oil change, can you help or should I find a ride?"

We can usually communicate on that basic level, and really, when he's down like that and pouting, I don't want to go any further in conversation than that anyway. I find meetings, call my sponsor, walk the dog, take my 14 year old to walk the mall and window shop, etc. I just get on with life and let him come around in his own time.

So, to answer your question: just keep doing what you're doing. You're not proving that there are no consequences. His path is set before him by his higher power and we don't have control over that. Living your life isn't putting consequences upon him. There's nothing wrong with being distant for a short period of time. In alcoholic relationships there is no true NORMAL. I just re-read what i wrote and I'm not sure it makes sense but I hope it made a little sense, LOL!